Department of Political Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
This article discusses the influence of policies on the development of biopharmaceuticals. We choose the experiences of Taiwan for our empirical study and focus on the evolution between 2000 and 2008; in the period of time the country provides an interesting example for further exploration of biopharmaceutical policies. Among all the policies, the two National Programs (National Research Program for Genetic Medicine and National Science and Technology Program for Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals) and the Law of Pharmaceutical Affairs showed the contrasting effects on the innovation system of biopharmaceuticals. As a result, the government generated very limited positive influence on the innovation of biopharmaceuticals.
4. Bergek A, Jacobsson S, Carlsson B, Lindmark S, Rickne A. Analyzing the functional dynamics of technological innovation systems: a scheme of analysis. Res Policy 2008; 37: 407–29. doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2007.12.003
5. Chung CC. National, sectoral and technological innovation systems: The case of Taiwanese pharmaceutical biotechnology and agricultural biotechnology innovation systems (1945–2000). Science and public policy 2012; 39: 271–81. doi: 10.1093/scipol/scs008
6. Cho PR. Lilly will end the 15 years of many factoring in Taiwan The facilities whose output value is 60 million US dollars is searching for buyer. Economic Daily News. The United News, Taipei.
7. DCB. The yearbook of pharmaceutical industry 2007. Taipei: Development center of biotechnology; 2007.
8. MedicineNet. Definition of Me-too drug. [cited 2013 July 25]. Available from: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=33748
9. Ho Yt. Developing biotechnology Linking Taipei, 2004.
10. DCB. The yearbook of Chinese herbal medicine industry 2004. Taipei: Development Center of Biotechnology; 2004.
11. DCB. The yearbook of pharmaceutical industry 2005. Taipei: Development center of biotechnology; 2005.
12. NSC. Science and technology yearbook 2004. Taipei: National Science Council; 2004.
13. Laboratories NAR. Science and Technology Yearbook 2008. Taipei; National Science Council; 2008.