1. Devisch I. Food taxes: a new holy grail? International Journal of Health Policy and Management 2013; 1: 95–7. doi: 10.15171/ijhpm.2013.15
2. Bleich SN, Wang YC, Wang Y, Gortmaker SL. Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults: 1988-1994 to 1999-2004. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 89: 372–81. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2008.26883
3. Lin BH, Smith TA, Lee JY, Hall KD. Measuring weight outcomes for obesity intervention strategies: the case of a sugar-sweetened beverage tax. Econ Hum Biol 2011; 9: 329–41.
4. Wang YC, Bleich SN, Gortmaker SL. Increasing caloric contribution from sugar-sweetened beverages and 100% fruit juices among US children and adolescents, 1988-2004. Pediatrics 2008; 121: e1604–14. doi: 10.1542/peds.2007-2834
5. Nielsen SJ, Popkin BM. Changes in beverage intake between 1977 and 2001. Am J Prev Med 2004; 27: 205–10. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2004.05.005
6. Leung CW, Ding EL, Catalano PJ, Villamor E, Rimm EB, Willett WC. Dietary intake and dietary quality of low-income adults in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Am J Clin Nutr 2012; 96: 977–88. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.040014
7. Block G. Foods contributing to energy intake in the US: data from NHANES III and NHANES 1999–2000. J Food Compost Anal 2004; 17: 439–47. doi: 10.1016/j.jfca.2004.02.007
8. Malik VS, Popkin BM, Bray GA, Despres JP, Hu FB. Sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease risk. Circulation 2010; 121: 1356–64. doi: 10.1161/circulationaha.109.876185
9. Ko GT, So WY, Chow CC, Wong PT, Tong SD, Hui SS, et al. Risk associations of obesity with sugar-sweetened beverages and lifestyle factors in Chinese: the ‘Better Health for Better Hong Kong’ health promotion campaign. Eur J Clin Nutr 2010; 64: 1386–92. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2010.181
10. Kleiman S, Ng SW, Popkin B. Drinking to our health: can beverage companies cut calories while maintaining profits? Obes Rev 2012; 13: 258–74. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789x.2011.00949.x
11. Taylor FC, Satija A, Khurana S, Singh G, Ebrahim S. Pepsi and Coca Cola in Delhi, India: availability, price and sales. Public Health Nutr 2011;14: 653–60. doi: 10.1017/s1368980010002442
12. Malik VS, Schulze MB, Hu FB. Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr 2006; 84: 274–88.
13. Vermunt SHF, Pasman WJ, Kardinaal AFM. Effects of sugar intake on body weight: a review. Obes Rev 2003; 4: 91–9. doi: 10.1046/j.1467-789x.2003.00102.x
14. Vartanian LR, Schwartz MB, Brownell KD. Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health 2007; 97: 667–75. doi: 10.2105/ajph.2005.083782
15. Hu FB. Resolved: there is sufficient scientific evidence that decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption will reduce the prevalence of obesity and obesity-related diseases. Obes Rev 2013; 14: 606–19. doi: 10.1111/obr.12040
16. Ebbeling CB, Feldman HA, Chomitz VR, Antonelli TA, Gortmaker SL, Osganian SK, et al. A randomized trial of sugar-sweetened beverages and adolescent body weight. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 1407–16. doi: 10.1056/nejmoa1203388
17. de Ruyter JC, Olthof MR, Seidell JC, Katan MB. A trial of sugar-free or sugar-sweetened beverages and body weight in children. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 1397–406. doi: 10.1007/s12456-012-0041-3
18. Mattes RD, Campbell WW. Effects of food form and timing of ingestion on appetite and energy intake in lean young adults and in young adults with obesity. J Am Diet Assoc 2009; 109: 430–7. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2008.11.031
19. Mourao DM, Bressan J, Campbell WW, Mattes RD. Effects of food form on appetite and energy intake in lean and obese young adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 2007; 31: 1688–95. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijo.0803667
20. DiMeglio DP, Mattes RD. Liquid versus solid carbohydrate: effects on food intake and body weight. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000; 24: 794–800. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijo.0801229
21. Block JP, Gillman MW, Linakis SK, Goldman RE. “If it tastes good, I’m drinking it”: qualitative study of beverage consumption among college students. J Adolesc Health 2013; 52: 702–6. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2012.11.017
22. Duffey KJ, Gordon-Larsen P, Shikany JM, Guilkey D, Jacobs DR, Popkin BM. Food price and diet and health outcomes: 20 years of the CARDIA study. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170: 420–6. doi: 10.1001/archinternmed.2009.545
23. Finkelstein EA, Zhen C, Nonnemaker J, Todd JE. Impact of targeted beverage taxes on higher- and lower-income households. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170: 2028–34. doi: 10.1001/archinternmed.2010.449
24. Andreyeva T, Long MW, Brownell KD. The impact of food prices on consumption: a systematic review of research on the price elasticity of demand for food. Am J Public Health 2009; 100: 216–22. doi: 10.2105/ajph.2008.151415
25. Block JP, Chandra A, McManus KD, Willett WC. Point-of-purchase price and education intervention to reduce consumption of sugary soft drinks. Am J Public Health 2010; 100: 1427–33. doi: 10.2105/ajph.2009.175687
26. Schroeter C, Lusk J, Tyner W. Determining the impact of food price and income changes on body weight. J Health Econ 2008; 27: 45–68. doi: 10.1016/j.jhealeco.2007.04.001
27. Finkelstein EA, Zhen C, Bilger M, Nonnemaker J, Farooqui AM, Todd JE. Implications of a sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) tax when substitutions to non-beverage items are considered. J Health Econ 2013; 32: 219–39. doi: 10.1016/j.jhealeco.2012.10.005
28. Zhen C, Wohlgenant K, Karns S, Kaufman P. Habit formation and demand for sugar-sweetened beverages. Am J Agr Econ 2011; 93: 175–93. doi: 10.1093/ajae/aaq155
29. Dharmasena S, Capps O Jr. Intended and unintended consequences of a proposed national tax on sugar-sweetened beverages to combat the U.S. obesity problem. Health Econ 2012; 21: 669–94. doi: 10.1002/hec.1738
30. Friedman RR, Puhl RM. Weight bias: a social justice issue. Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity. New Haven, CT; 2012.
31. Brownell KD, Farley T, Willett WC, Popkin BM, Chaloupka FJ, Thompson JW, et al. The public health and economic benefits of taxing sugar-sweetened beverages. N Engl J Med 2009; 361: 1599–605. doi: 10.1056/nejmhpr0905723
32. Kaiser Family Foundation. Kaiser health tracking poll. [cited 2013 July 23]. Available from: http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/7923.pdf.
33. Many Americans ambivalent over laws aimed at healthy living: poll. HealthDay [serial on the Internet]. [updated 2012 March 20]. [cited 2013 July 18]; Available from http://www.healthday.com/press/healthday-harris-ambivalent-laws-healthy-living.html
34. Norton A. Most Americans oppose soda, candy taxes. Health Day 2013.
35. Rivard C, Smith D, McCann SE, Hyland A. Taxing sugar-sweetened beverages: a survey of knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors. Public Health Nutr 2012; 15: 1355–61. doi: 10.1017/s1368980011002898
36. State Sales Tax on Regular, Sugar-Sweetened Soda (as of July 1, 2011). Bridging the Gap Program, University of Illinois at Chicago. [cited 2013 July 18]. Available from: http://www.bridgingthegapresearch.org/_asset/zvh93o/BTG_State_Soda_Sales_Tax_Jul012011_publuse_29Nov11.pdf; 2011.
37. Fletcher JM, Frisvold D, Tefft N. The effects of soft drink taxes on child and adolescent consumption and weight outcomes. J Public Econ 2010; 94: 967–74. doi: 10.1016/j.jpubeco.2010.09.005
38. Fletcher JM, Frisvold D, Tefft N. Taxing soft drinks and restricting access to vending machines to curb child obesity. Health Aff 2010; 29: 1059–66. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2009.0725
39. Fletcher JM, Frisvold D, Tefft N. Can soft drinks taxes reduce population weight? Contemp Econ Policy 2010; 28: 23–35. doi: 10.1111/j.1465-7287.2009.00182.x
40. Powell LM, Chriqui JF, Chaloupka FJ. Associations between state-level soda taxes and adolescent body mass index. J Adolesc Health 2009; 45: S57–63. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2009.03.003
41. Sturm R, Powell LM, Chriqui JF, Chaloupka FJ. Soda taxes, soft drink consumption, and children’s body mass index. Health Aff 2010; 29: 1052–8. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2009.0061
42. Torabi MR. Trends of public opinion on tobacco use and public policy. Indiana Med 1996; 89: 132–5.
43. Tobacco taxes a win-win for cash-strapped states. [cited 2013 July 18]. Available from http://www.rwjf.org/content/dam/web-assets/2010/02/tobacco-taxes.