1. World Health Organization. The WHO application of ICD-10 to deaths during pregnancy, childbirth and puerperium: IDC MM. Geneva: WHO; 2012.
2. Godal T, Quam L. Accelerating the global response to reduce maternal mortality. Lancet 2012; 379: 2025–6. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(12)60863-0
3. Berer M. Maternal mortality or women’s health: time for action. Reprod Health Matters 2012; 20: 5–10. doi: 10.1016/s0968-8080(12)39632-8
4. Milliez J. Rights to safe motherhood and newborn health: ethical issues. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2009; 106: 110–1. doi: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2009.03.019
5. WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, The World Bank. Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2010. Geneva: WHO; 2012. doi: 10.1017/s0021932002242832
6. Moazzeni MS. Maternal mortality in the Islamic republic of Iran: on track and in transition. Matern Child Health J 2013; 17: 577–80. doi: 10.1007/s10995-012-1043-6
7. Tajik P, Nedjat S, Afshar NE, Changizi N,Yazdizadeh B, Azemikhah A, et al. Inequality in maternal mortality in Iran: an ecologic study. Int J Prev Med 2012; 3: 116–21.
8. Clark SL. Strategies for reducing maternal mortality. Semin Perinatol 2012; 36: 42–7. doi: 10.1053/j.semperi.2011.09.009
9. Main EK. Decisions required for operating a maternal mortality review committee: the California experience. Semin Perinatol 2012; 36: 37–41. Doi: 10.1053/j.semperi.2011.09.008
10. Azemikhah A, Amirkhani MA, Jalilvand P, Emami Afshar N, Radpooyan L, Changizi N. Maternal mortality surveillance system in Iran. Iran J Public Health 2009; 38: 90–2.
11. World Health Organization. Beyond the numbers: reviewing maternal deaths and complications to make pregnancy safer. Geneva: WHO; 2004. doi: 10.1007/BF03084278
12. Williamson A, Feyer AM, Stout N, Driscoll T, Usher H. Use of narrative analysis for comparisons of the causes of fatal accidents in three countries: New Zealand, Australia, and the United States. Inj Prev 2001; 7: i15–20. doi: 10.1136/ip.7.suppl_1.i15
13. Fins JJ, Schwager Guest R, Acres CA. Gaining insight into the care of hospitalized dying patients: an interpretative narrative analysis. J Pain Symptom Manage 2000; 20: 399–407. doi: 10.1016/s0885-3924(00)00220-7
14. Bingley AF, Thomas C, Brown J, Reeve J, Payne S. Developing narrative research in supportive and palliative care: the focus on illness narratives. Palliat Med 2008; 22: 653–8. doi: 10.1177/0269216308089842
15. Eslami M, Yazdanpanah M, Taheripanah R, Andalib P, Rahimi A, Nakhaee N. Profile of high risk pregnancies in Iran. International Journal of Health Policy and Management 2013; 1: 213–8. doi: 10.15171/ijhpm.2013.39
16. Nour NM. An introduction to maternal mortality. Rev Obstet Gynecol 2008; 1: 77–81.
17. Blanc AK, Winfrey W, Ross J. New findings for maternal mortality age patterns: aggregated results for 38 countries. PLoS One 2013; 8: e59864. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0059864
18. Pacagnella RC, Cecatti JG, Osis MJ, Souza JP. The role of delays in severe maternal morbidity and mortality: expanding the conceptual framework. Reprod Health Matters 2012; 20: 155–63. doi: 10.1016/s0968-8080(12)39601-8
19. The Joint Commission. Sentinel Event Alert, Issue 44: Preventing Maternal Death. 2010. Available from: http://www.jointcommission.org/sentinel_event_alert_issue_44_preventing_maternal_death/