This paper reviews the essence of effective governance and importance of a multi-sectoral approach in generating health systems response to HIV/AIDS. This comprehensive approach highlights the importance of integrating reproductive sexual health programs and HIV prevention services, including peer education, life skills, and Voluntary Counseling and Testing (VCT), for Prevention of Mother–to-Child Transmission (PMTCT) and reaching out to People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLHA). Research implications for governance of health systems response to HIV/AIDS, integrated youth health policies and high-level political commitment, are emphasized by strategic implications for HIV/AIDS control and followed by a policy thrust on health systems as a strategic plan to achieve sustainability in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
1. UNAIDS Report on the global AIDS epidemic [internet]. 2012. [cited 2013 October 15]. Available from: http://www.unaids.org /en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents /epidemiology/2013/gr2013/ UNAIDS_Global_Report_2013_en.pdf.
2. NACO. Annual Report 2011-12 [internet]. 2012. [cited 2013 October 15]. Available from: https://nacoonline.org/upload /Publication/Annual 20Report /NACO_AR_Eng 202011-12.pdf
3. Centre for Disease Control. HIV Surveillance Supplemental Report: Monitoring selected national HIV prevention and care objectives by using HIV surveillance data—United States and 6 U.S. dependent area; 17(No. 3, part A). 2012. [cited 2013 October 15].Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf /statistics_2010_HIV_Surveillance_Report_vol_17_no_3.pdf
4. UN General Assembly twenty sixth special session [internet]. 2001. [cited 2013 October 15].Available from: http://www.un.org/ga/aids/docs/aress262.pdf
5. Hogle JA, Green E, Nantulya V, Stoneburner R, Stover J. What Happened in Uganda? Declining HIV Prevalence, Behaviour Change and National Response [internet]. Available from: http://www.popline.org/node/250072
6. UNDP. The Role of Human Rights in Response to HIV, TB and Malaria [internet]. 2013. Available from: http://www.undp.org/content /undp/en/home/librarypage/hiv-aids /the-role-of-humanrightsin-responses-to-hiv--tuberculosis-and-m.html
7. UNAIDS. Sexual Health Education Does Lead to Safer Sexual Behaviour. UNAIDS Review [internet]. 1997. Available from: http://www.popline.org/node/274869
8. Remme JH, Adam T, Becerra-Posada F, D’Arcangues C, Devlin M, Gardner C, et al. Defining research to improve health systems. PLoS Med2010; 7: e1001000. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001000
9. Kelly K, Parker W, Gelb S. HIV/AIDS, Economics and Governance in South Africa: Key Issues in Understanding Response [internet]. 2002. Available from: http://www.jointcenter.org/sites/default/files/upload/research/files/AIDS_paper.pdf
10. Kunaka C. HIV/AIDS, democracy and governance in Southern Africa. Unpublished paper, 2000.
11. Over AM. The macroeconomic impact of AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa (World Bank Africa Technical Department, Population, Health and Nutrition Division. Technical Working Paper). Population and Human Resources Dept., World Bank; 1992.
12. Whiteside A .The threat of HIV/AIDS to democracy and governance [internet]. 1999. Available from: http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNADR215.pdf
13. UNDP. Global Commission on HIV and The Law, 2012.
14. Gillies P. Effectiveness of alliances and partnerships for health promotion. Health Promot Int1998; 13: 99–120. doi: 10.1093/heapro/13.2.99
15. UNDP. Strategy Note: HIV, Health and Development 2012-13, 2012.
16. NACO. NACP IV Strategic Planning Document. 2013. Available from: http://naco.gov.in/upload/Finance/AAP 202013-14/Rajasthan.pdf
17. United Nations. Implementation of the United Nations Millennium Declaration: Report of the Secretary-General [internet]. 27 August 2004. Available from: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/sgreport2004.pdf?OpenElement
18. UNAIDS. Global Report; UNAIDS report on the Global AIDS epidemic [internet]. 2013. Available from: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets /documents/epidemiology/2013/gr2013/UNAIDS_Global_Report_2013_en.pdf
19. UNAIDS & WHO. Epidemiological Fact Sheets on HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections [internet]. 2004. Available from: http://data.unaids.org/publications/fact-sheets01/india_en.pdf