2. Burton CR, Rycroft Malone J, Robert G, Willson A, Hopkins A. Investigating the organisational impacts of quality improvement: a protocol for a realist evaluation of improvement approaches drawing on the Resource Based View of the Firm. BMJ Open 2014; 4. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005650
6. Health Foundation. Perspectives on context. A selection of essays considering the role of context in successful quality improvement. London: Health Foundation; 2014.
9. Barney J. Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. J Manage 1991; 17: 99-120. doi: 10.1177/014920639101700108
11. Rosner M. Economic Determinants of Organizational Innovation. Adm Sci Q 1968;12: 614-625. doi: 10.2307/2391536
13. Teece DJ. Explicating dynamic capabilities: the nature and microfoundations of (sustainable) enterprise performance. Strategic Management Journal 2007; 28: 1319-50. doi: 10.1002/smj.640
14. Bierly PE, Damanpour F, Santoro MD. The Application of External Knowledge: Organizational Conditions for Exploration and Exploitation. Journal of Management Studies 2009; 46: 481-509. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6486.2009.00829.x
16. Lockett A, Thompson S, Morgenstern U. The development of the resource-based view of the firm: a critical appraisal. International Journal of Management Reviews 2009; 11: 9-28. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2370.2008.00252.x
17. Rycroft-Malone J, Wilkinson J, Burton CR, Harvey G, McCormack B, Graham I, et al. Collaborative action around implementation in Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care: towards a programme theory. J Health Serv Res Policy 2013; 18: 13-26. doi: 10.1177/1355819613498859
18. Propper C. Competition, incentives and the English NHS. Health Econ 2012; 21: 33-40.
19. Ferlie E, Ashburner L, Fitzgerald L, Pettigrew A. The New Public Management in Action. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1996.
20. Porter ME, Teisberg EO. Redefining Healthcare: Creating Value-based Competition on Results. Boston: Harvard Business School Press; 2006.
22. Doran T, Roland M. Lessons from Major Initiatives to Improve Primary Care in the United Kingdom. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010; 29: 1023-9. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2010.0069