1. McKee M. Understanding population health: lessons from the former Soviet Union. Clin Med 2005; 5: 374-8. doi: 10.7861/clinmedicine.5-4-374
2. WHO. Everybody’s business — strengthening health systems to improve health outcomes. WHO’s framework for action. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2007.
3. Hurst J. The Reform of health care: a comparative analysis of seven OECD countries. Economic and Social Development Paper. Paris OECD; 1992.
4. Rhodes G. The medical mandala: The public health benefits of entrepreneurship tools and skills among medical students in India. Indian J Public Health 2012; 56: 105-9. doi: 10.4103/0019-557X.99899
5. Light D. The Sociological character of health care markets. In: Albrecht G, Fitzpatrick R Scrimshaw S. eds. The Handbook of Social Studies in Health and Medicine. Sage 2nd ed. London: Sage; 2003.
6. Schieber G, Maeda A. A Curmudgeon’s Guide to Financing Health in Developing Countries. In: Schieber G. ed. Innovations in Health Care Financing. Washington DC: World Bank; 1997.
7. Jackson M. Social and economic networks. Princeton University Press; 2008. p. 20-51.
8. Christakis N, Fowler J. The Collective Dynamics of Smoking in a Large Social Network. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2249-58. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa0706154
10. Rothenberg R. Social network dynamics and HIV transmission. AIDS 1998: 12; 1529-36.
11. Liou Y, Daly A. Closer to learning social networks trust and professional communities. Journal of School Leadership. [In press]
12. Jones W, Avant R, Davis N. Task Force Report 3. Report of the Task Force on Continuous Personal, Professional, and Practice Development in Family Medicine. Ann Fam Med 2004; 2: s65–74. doi: 10.1370/afm.136
13. WHO. The world health report 2000 - Health systems: improving performance.Geneva: WHO; 2000.
15. Bruce M. The Coming of the Welfare State. 4th ed. London: Batsford; 1972.
16. Vinten-Johansen P, Brody H, Paneth N, Rachman S, Russell Rip M. Cholera, Chloroform, and the Science of Medicine: a Life of John Snow. Oxford: Oxford University Press: 2003. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0025727300008164
17. PMSJ. Introductory Address. Prov Med Surg J1840: 1; 1.
19. Williams A. Science or marketing at WHO? A commentary on ‘World Health 2000. Health Econ2001:10; 93-100. doi: 10.1002/hec.594
21. Barr N. The economics of the welfare state. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press; 1993.
22. Gross K. Framing Persuasive Appeals: Episodic and Thematic Framing, Emotional Response, and Policy Opinion. Polit Psychol 2008; 29: 169–92. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9221.2008.00622.x
23. Lewis J. The British Empire and world history: welfare imperialism and ‘soft power’ in the rise and fall of British rule. In: Midgeley, James and Piachaud, David, eds. Colonialism and welfare, social policy and the British imperial legacy. Cheltnam: Edward Elgar Publishing; 2011.
24. Leon D. Cities, urbanization and health. Int J Epidemiol2008; 37: 4-8.
25. Porter D. Health, Civilization, and the State: A History of Public Health from Ancient to Modern Times. New York: Routledge; 1999. p. 79-97. doi: 10.1056/NEJM199912023412322
26. Vienonen M, Wlodarczyk W. Health care reforms on the European scene: evolution, revolution or seesaw? World Health Stat Q 1993; 46: 166-9.
27. Neubourg C. de. The welfare pentagon and the social management of risks. In: Sigg R, Behrendt C. eds. Social security in the global village. New Brunswick: Transaction publishers; 2002. Vol. 8, p. 313-31.
28. Newhouse J, Phelps C. Price and Income elasticities for medical care services. Santa Monica: RAND (NBER); 1974.
29. Preker AS, Carrin G, Dror D, Jakab M, Hsiao W, Arhin-Tenkorang D. Effectiveness of community health financing in meeting the cost of illness. Bull World Health Organ2002: 80; 143-50.
30. Lotka AJ. Elements of physical biology. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins Co; 1925.
31. Volterra V. [Variations and fluctuations of the number of individuals in animal species living together]. Mem. R. Accad. Naz. dei Lincei 1928: 3; 3-51.
32. Ooms G, Hammonds R. Scaling Up Global Social Health Protection: Prerequisite Reforms to the International Monetary Fund. Int J Health Serv2009:39; 795–801. doi: 10.2190/HS.39.4.m
33. Duhl L. The social entrepreneurship of change. Pace University Press ;1990.
35. Gee J. An Introduction to Discourse Analysis: Theory and Method. London: Routledge; 2005.
36. Harris Z. A Theory of Language and Information: A mathematical approach. Oxford & New York: Clarendon Press; 1991.
37. Gerow A, Keane MM. Mining the Web for the Voice of the Herd to Track Stock Market Bubbles. Proceedings of the 22nd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI ‘11), Barcelona, Spain, 16-22 July, 2011.