1. Lim SS, Vos T, Flaxman AD, Danaei G, Shibuya K, Adair-Rohani H, et al. A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012; 380: 2224–60.
2. WHO. Obesity. Geneva: WHO; 2013. [updated 2013 March; cited 2013 July 10]. Available from: http://www.who.int/topics/obesity/en/index.html.
3. CDC. Overweight and Obesity: Adult obesity facts. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2012. [updated 2012 August 13; cited 2013 July 10]. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html.
4. Malekzadeh R, Mohamadnejad M, Merat S, Pourshams A, Etemadi A. Obesity pandemic: an Iranian perspective. Arch Iranian Med 2005; 8: 1–7.
5. Mirzazadeh A, Sadeghirad B, Haghdoost AA, Bahrein F, Rezazadeh Kermani M. The Prevalence of Obesity in Iran in Recent Decade; a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Study. Iran J Public Health 2009; 38: 1–11.
6. Singer P. Weigh More, Pay More. Project Syndicate 2012.
7. Campbell D. Doctors back denial of treatment for smokers and the obese. The Observer 2012.
8. Ramirez X. OB-GYNs in South Florida Reject Overweight and Obese Patients. 2011. [updated May 17; cited 2013, July 12]. Available from: http://www.care2.com/causes/ob-gyns-in-south-florida-reject-overweight-and-obese-patients.html#ixzz2YrmT0AEr.
9. Firger J. Doctor Turns Away Obese Patients. 2012. [updated August 29; cited 2013 July 10]. Available from: http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/0829/doctor-turns-away-obese-patients.aspx.
10. Zimmerman R. Mass. Doctor Won’t Accept New Patients Who Are Obese. 2012. [updated August 30; cited 2013 July 10]. Available from: http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2012/08/mass-doctor-wont-accept-new-patients-who-are-obese.
11. Wikler D. Personal and Social Responsibility for Health. In: Anand S, F Peter, AK Sen, editors. Public Health, Ethics, and Equity. New York: Oxford University Press; 2006. p. 109–34.
12. Yousefi P. Overweight/obesity and lifestyle characteristics among Iranian pre-school children. Umeå: Umeå University; 2011.
13. Schmidt H, Voigt K, Emanuel EJ. The ethics of not hiring smokers. N Engl J Med
2013; 368: 1369–71. doi: 10.1056/nejmp1301951
14. Schmidt H, Voigt K, Wikler D. Carrots, Sticks, and Health Care Reform—Problems with Wellness Incentives. N Engl J Med
2010; 362: 1–3. doi: 10.1056/nejmp0911552
15. Asch DA, Muller RW, Volpp KG. Conflicts and compromises in not hiring smokers. New Engl J Med
2013; 368: 1371–3. doi: 10.1056/nejmp1303632
16. Marmot M. Fair Society Healthy Lives. In: Eyal N, OF Norheim, SA Hurst, D Wikler, editors. Inequalities in Health: Concepts, Measures, and Ethics. New York: Oxford University Press; 2013, Forthcoming.
18. Andrews M. Some Doctors Ask Patients To Sign ‘Pain Contracts’ To Get Prescriptions. Kaiser Health News 2011.
19. Eyal N. Why treat noncompliant patients? Beyond the decent minimum account. J Med Philos
2011; 36: 572–88. doi: 10.1093/jmp/jhr051