1. Abraham A. Care and compassion: Report of the health service ombudsman on ten investigations into NHS care of older people, fourth report if the health service commissioner for England; session 2010-2011, HC 778.London: The Stationary Office; 2011.
2. Francis R. Report of the Mid Staffordshire Foundation NHS Trust Public Inquiry Volumes 1-3, HC-898-I-III. London: The Stationery Office; 2013.
4. Department of health. Developing the culture of compassionate care: creating a new vision and strategy for nurses, midwives and care givers. London: HSMC; 2012.
5. Lown B, Rosen J, Martilla J. An agenda for improving compassionate care: a survey shows about half of patients say such care is missing. Health Aff (Millwood)2011; 30: 1772–8. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0539
6. Cornwell J, Goodrich J. Exploring how to enable compassionate care in hospitals to improve patient experience. Nurs Times 2009; 105: 15–23.
8. Dewar B, Nolan M. Caring about caring: developing a model to implement compassionate releationship ceneterd care in an older people care setting. Int J Nurs Stud 2013; 50: 1247–58. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.01.008
9. Epstein RM, Franks P, Shields CG, Meldrum SC, Miller KN, Campbell TL, et al. Patient –centered communication and diagnostic testing. Ann Fam Med 2005; 3: 415–21.
10. Jacobs R, Mannion R, Davies HTO, Harrison S, Konteh F, Walshe K. The relationship between organizational culture and performance in acute hospitals. Soc Sci Med2013; 76: 115–25. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.10.014
11. Mannion R, Davies HTO, Marshall M. Cultural attributes of ‘high’ and ‘low’ performing hospitals. J Health Organ Manag 2005; 19: 431–9. doi: 10.1108/14777260510629689
12. Mannion R, Davies HTO, Marshall M. Cultures for Performance in Health Care.London: Open University Press; 2005.
13. Sawbridge Y, Hewsion A. Thinking about the emotional labour of nursing – supporting nurses to care. J Health Organ Manag 2013; 27: 127–33. doi: 10.1108/14777261311311834
14. Rynes SL, Bartunek JM, Dutton JE, Margolis JD. Care and compassion through an organizational lens: opening up new possibilities. Acad Manageme Rev2012; 37: 503–23. doi: 10.5465/amr.2012.0124