2. Lozano R, Wang H, Foreman KJ, Rajaratnam JK, Naghavi M, Marcus JR, et al.
Progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 on maternal and child mortality: an updated systematic analysis. Lancet
2011; 378: 1139-65. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61337-8
4. Registrar General, India. SRS Bulletin, Sample Registration System. New Delhi: Office of the Registrar General, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India; 2012.
5. Lim SS, Dandona L, Hoisington JA, James SL, Hogan MC, Gakidou E. India's Janani Suraksha Yojana, a conditional cash transfer programme to increase births in health facilities: an impact evaluation. Lancet
2010; 375: 2009-23. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60744-1
6. National Rural Health Mission, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Third Common Review Mission Report. New Delhi, India; 2009.
8. Project Implementation Plan: Uttar Pradesh Health Systems Strengthening Project [Internet]. Department of Medical Health and Family Welfare, Government of Uttar Pradesh; 2011. [cited 2013 Sep 15]. Available from: http://uphealth.up.nic.in/uphssp/documents/
9. Rural Health Statistics in India, 2011 [Internet]. National Rural Health Mission, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India; 2011. [cited 2013 Feb 10]. Available from: http://nrhm-mis.nic.in/UI/RHS/RHS2011
10. World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), Children's Rights and Emergency Relief Organization (UNICEF) and Averting Maternal Death and Disability (AMDD). Monitoring emergency obstetric care: a handbook. Geneva: WHo; 2009.
11. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW). National Rural Health Mission (NRHM): Mission Document. New Delhi: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; 2005.
16. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India. Operational Guidelines on Maternal and Newborn Health. New Delhi: NRHM, MoHFW; 2010.
17. Maine D. Safe Motherhood Programs: Options and Issues. Center for Population and Family Health. New York: Columbia University; 1991. p. 42-51.
18. Special bulletin on maternal mortality in India: 2007-2009 [Internet]. Office of Registrar General, India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India; June 2011. [cited 2013 Feb 10]. Available from: http://www.censusindia.gov.in/vital_statistics/
19. Jansankhya Sthirta Kosh: National Population Stabilisation Fund. District level health facility GIS maps and indices [Internet]. Jansankhya Sthirta Kosh; 2007. [cited 2012 Nov 20]. Available from: http://www.jsk.gov.in/district_health.asp
22. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW). About Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) [internet]. National Health Mission; 2013 [cited 2014 Dec 10]. Available from: http://nrhm.gov.in/communitisation/
23. Maternal and Child Health Sustainable Technical Assistance and Research (MCH-STAR) Project, USAID. Technical Assistance to the Government of Jharkhand to Operationalize First Referral Units (FRUs) [internet]. 2010. [2012 Nov 30]. Available from: http://www.mchstar.org/technicalAssistance/
24. Maternal and perinatal death inquiry and response: empowering communities to avert maternal deaths in India [Internet]. UNICEF; 2009 [cited 2013 Sep 15]. Available from: http://www.mapedir.org/MDAC-Maternal.pdf
25. Raj SS, Maine D, Sahoo PK, Manthri S, Chauhan K. Meeting the community halfway to reduce maternal deaths? Evidence from a community-based maternal death review in Uttar Pradesh, India. Global Health: Sci Pract
2013; 1: 84-96. doi: 10.9745/GHSP-D-12-00049
26. Guidelines for operationalising First Referral Units [Internet]. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India; 2004. [cited 2015 Jan 7]. Available from: http://www.medbox.org/in-nh-guides/
27. Indian Public Health Standards (IPHS) Guidelines for Community Health Centers, Revised 2012 [Internet]. Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India; 2012. [cited 2015 Jan 7]. Available from: http://health.bih.nic.in/Docs/Guidelines/
28. Indian Public Health Standards (IPHS): Guidelines for District Hospitals, Revised 2012 [nternet]. Directorate General of Health Services Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India; 2012. [cited 2015 Jan 7]. Available from: http://health.bih.nic.in/Docs/Guidelines/
31. Murray SF, Pearson SC. Maternity referral systems in developing countries: current knowledge and future needs. Soc Sci Med
2006; 62: 2205-15. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.10.025
33. Sahoo Pk, Raj SS, Manthri S. Improved access to safe blood must be prioritized as a core component of comprehensive efforts to prevent maternal deaths in Uttar Pradesh, India. Int J Med Sci Public Health 2014; 3: 1208-14.
34. Gupta M, Mavalankar D, Poonam Trivedi. A study of referral system for EmOC in Gujarat. Research and publications: Working paper series; 2009.
36. Jahn A, de Brouwere V. Referral in pregnancy and childbirth: concepts and strategies. In: Brouwere VD, Lerberghe W V, editors. Safe motherhood strategies : a review of the rvidence. Antwerp, Belgium: ITG Press; 2001.
37. Sundararaman T, Chakraborty G, Nair A, Mokashi T, Ved R. Publicly Financed Emergency Response and Patient Transport Systems Under NRHM. National Health Systems Resource Centre, New Delhi (India); 2012.
38. Murray SF, Davis S, Phiri KR, Ahmed Y. Tools for monitoring the effectiveness of district maternity referral systems. Health Policy Plan 2001; 16: 353-61.
39. Publicly Financed Emergency Response and Patient Transport Systems Under NRHM. National Health Systems Resource Centre; 2012.
40. Prinja S, Manchanda N, Aggarwal AK, Kaur M, Jeet G, Kumar R. Cost & efficiency evaluation of a publicly financed & publicly delivered referral transport service model in three districts of Haryana State, India. Indian J Med Res 2013; 138: 1003-11.
41. Sundararaman T, Nair A, Mokashi T, Chakraborthy G. Business models of public private partnerships in publicly-financed emergency response services. BMC Proc 2012; 6: P8.
42. Documentation of “JE Management Models by SHG, Federations and NGO” in Orissa. National Rural Health Mission; 2011.
43. Prinja S, Jeet G, Kaur M, Aggarwal AK, Manchanda N, Kumar R. Impact of referral transport system on institutional deliveries in Haryana, India. Indian J Med Res 2014; 139: 883-91.
44. Hussein J, Kanguru L, Astin M, Munjanja S. The Effective of Emergency obstetric Referral Interventions in Developing Country Settings: A Systematic Review. PLoS Med
2012; 9: e1001264. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001264
45. Sloan NL LA, Hernandez B, Romero M, Winikoff B. The etiology of maternal mortality in developing countries: what do verbal autopsies tell us? Bull World Health Organ 2001; 79: 805–10.